Tuesday, December 20, 2011

And Then There Was Carter


Carter Owen Mace was born December 7th, 2011... AND MAN IT WAS A RIDE!

We were scheduled to be induced at 7 am on that crazy wednesday morning. I had to call labor and delivery at 6 am to make sure they had enough room for my induction at that time. The night before i had this HORRIBLE feeling that it would get delayed. my entire family was reassuring me and saying that its really rare for that to happen. Jus, my mom, my dad, and I all went to dinner but our first choice was closed so we had to settle for ihop! it was our last dinner as just me and justin! I barely fit into the booth and it was horribly uncomfortable so we eventually had to ask the waitress to move to a table! haha.. i was HUGE to say the least!

That night we didnt sleep.. i mean WHO WOULD! we knew our baby was coming the next day! jus stayed up all night cleaning and preparing for his sons arrival while i layed in our bed and tried to get ANY amount of sleep that i could! the hours ticked down and at 5:55 am i grabbed my phone to make sure i had the number all dialed and ready for 6 am on the dot!!! i was nervous to call, only fearing that my assumptions would be correct. I hit send and the nurse in charge answered... AND THEY COULDNT TAKE ME! they made me call back at 8:00 am, 9:30 am, and then 10:30... IT WAS EXACTLY HOW I HAD IMAGINED IT GOING! all throughout my life i have never ever obtained the quality called PATIENCE... this would happen to me to try and teach me a lesson, but it wasnt going to stop me from getting our son into this world! i was irrate.. i even spiked my phone like a football into the ground when my ob called and said i might have to wait until the following monday to actually get induced! HOW CAN YOU TELL A PREGO LADY SHE WILL HAVE HER BABY ON A CERTAIN DAY AND THEN TELL HER IT PROBABLY WONT HAPPEN! i think anyone would have lost it at that point. Well i got a call back from labor and delivery around 11:15 am and said that i needed to hurry down to triage to get admitted before any other pregnant lady who was already in labor did! needless to say WE WERE BOOKING IT! my mom and justin didnt know what hit them after i got that phone call! we sped the entire drive down to st. lukes and got there in time to be admitted!

I was taken to room 2407 which happened to be the room my very good friend had delivered her son in less than a month ago! IT WAS FATE! well the nurse came in and informed me she had a intern student with her and asked if i minded if he placed my iv... WELL I DIDNT KNOW THIS INTERN NAMED RAJ WAS BRAND NEW AND TERRIBLE AT PLACING IV's... he missed 4 times and the nurse finally helped him place the 5th attempt in one of the worst places you could... ON MY HAND! dont you need those to hold your legs back when your pushing and such? it started very rocky... that should have been the first sign... hahaha well they finally got the iv placed and the pitocin started around 1:30 pm... The nurse checked me at that time and told me we were starting at a 4.5 cm dialated! WE WERE ALMOST HALFWAY!!! this was good news... the contractions werent very bad in the beginning.. i was like OMG I COULD TOTALLY DO THIS NATURALLY! i felt good enough to walk so we did a few laps around the floor and then the contractions started to really come! HOLY LORD THE PAIN WAS INCREDIBLY TERRIBLE!! i was in the jacuzzi when they got so bad that i couldnt handle it and i was very ready for the epidural.. THANK THE LORD I WAS ABLE TO GET IT RIGHT THEN! the epidural wasnt that bad... but it was the contractions and the shakes i was having while getting the epidural placed that made it uncomfortable!!!! once it was placed i could relax and enjoy the experience with my family! i was talking and laughing through the contractions which were lasting over a few minutes and were off the charts high! it was such a relief, LET ME TELL YOU! hahaha

After about a half an hour of constant contractions but very minimal pain my doctor came in and broke my water! i was at a solid 6 which was good progression but i was ready to get the show on the road! about 45 minutes after my water broke my nurse checked me again and WE WERE READY! she was shocked it happened so fast! she was sure she wasnt going to be there for delivery since her shift ended at 7 pm and she thought there was no way i was going to be ready by that time seeing as i was induced in the afternoon!! well... she was wrong! i was ready and so was carter! he was +2 engaged and not handling the birth canal very well! i maybe pushed 4-5 times and she was ready to call the doctor to come! well our doctor showed up and it was go time! i found it hard to know the feeling to push because i was numb everywhere below my boobs! i was asked to pull my legs back and push down.. i wanted my mom and jus to help hold my legs back but they werent really allowed.. so it was a funny ordeal to see me pushing and holding my dead weight legs at the same time! well carter was sitting under the pelvic bone and wasnt handling the pushing and contractions very well so our doctor decided she needed to use the vaccum to get him out sooner than later! the vaccum really helped and carter was out within 2 minutes! OMG WE DID IT :) he was soooo loud, so healthy... EVERYTHING WE COULD HAVE EVER HOPED FOR! he has all of his toes and fingers... we are BLESSED!!!!!! Jus was so overwhelmed with happiness and my mom was snapping as many pictures as she could for us... it was pure bliss! i had to get snipped a little bit because of our sons large head, so as i was getting stitched up jus was over with carter watching him get cleaned up and weighed! the labor and delivery all together took under 5 hours... I SHOULD HAVE TONS OF KIDS WITH HOW AMAZING THIS DELIVERY WENT RIGHT????? think again....


No comments:

Post a Comment